As chiropractors in Gastonia, NC, we’re passionate about making sure people take care of their backs. Believe it or not, if you’re experiencing back pain, you’re not the only one. According to a study conducted by the UNC School of Medicine,
“more than 80 percent of Americans will experience an episode of low back pain at some time in their lives and that total costs of the condition are estimated at greater than $100 billion annually, with two-thirds of that due to decreased wages and productivity.”
Chances are, if you’re experiencing back pain, you may be causing some of it. Not sure if you’re creating back pain for yourself? Here are 8 ways you could be causing that lower back pain.
- Sitting for Long Periods of Time– When you’re sitting you’re putting 40% more spinal pressure than when you’re standing. Try to stretch every 30 minutes to give your spine the relief it needs.
- Your Car Seat is in the Wrong Position– In an ideal situation, you should be sitting at a 90-degree angle. Move your seat so that reaching wheel and the petal isn’t a stretch so you aren’t straining muscles.
- Not Exercising– Keeping your body moving is important not just to overall health, but back health. If your back is hurting, don’t cut exercise, try walking or yoga instead.
- Carrying Heavy Bags– Heavy bags imbalance your shoulders. To prevent this, make sure that your bag is only 10% of your body weight. That way it’s not too much of a burden.
- Eating Unhealthy– Clogged arteries are actually a cause of a lot of back pain and excess weight often takes a toll on the back.
- Sleeping on an Old Mattress– A worn out and old mattress actually causes your spine to sag. Make sure to replace it every 5 to 7 years if you have back pain.
- Wearing High Heels– If you wear high heels all the time, your back muscles actually have to work harder. Try to counteract this by adding a cushioned insole and try not to walk long distances.
- Being Stressed Out– Anger and stress actually cause muscle tension in the back. Make sure to talk to your doctor about stress management techniques.
Want More Chiropractic Help in Gastonia, NC?
Of course, the best way to devote yourself to a healthier day-to-day, whether you’re in the office or not, is by getting the chiropractic help you need. Whether you need relief from pain or recovering after an accident, Thomas Chiropractic Center’s chiropractors offer professional and caring service in Gastonia, NC. We have the experience and expertise to deliver the best results for Gastonia patients seeking wellness and family care, as well as for auto or sports-related injuries. We’re dedicated to locate and correct any issues you have to help you lead a healthy and pain-free life. Contact us today to get the help you deserve.